Friday, September 10, 2010

First of Previous Many / The Advantage of Learning

Last night was the first of many nights I have been through in the last five to six years. I was up until 2:30 this morning and woke up at 7:30, scrambling to get things done - especially toward the hour of 2pm. My work schedule yesterday consisted of a 4-9 evening shift, which meant I had to try to make time between 1-2 and 3-4, as well as past 9, to work on two long readings, an exercise (magazine) lead, a response paper, and three reading assignments (as well as a recap of a previous one).

I've told myself at times, "You're gonna have those rough days," which is exactly what this day was. This morning, it was trying to get so many things done at once in a short amount of time while trying not to stress about it - which is very hard stuff, believe me. At the same time, though, I had to break through the frustration and tell myself to roll with whatever comes out of this day. I had to act my best with where I am in my present character. And I can honestly tell you that the last hour has, in many ways, been relieving. With only three class periods thus far, said class has been really good in terms of class discussion, communication, observation, critiquing and so forth. I still have my worries, primarily in my process as a poetry writer. But again, it's only been the first couple weeks, so I still have more to learn which I can learn.

Some of you may be taking classes that may not be viable to your future endeavors, whateve they may be. But that should not be an excuse to not learn from those classes. You can still get something out of them nonetheless. For me, taking my general education classes my first two to three years of college gave me an idea of what I could alternatively consider pursuing after I graduate.

I want to close with a quote that was put in my High School Graduation scrapbook over five years ago. (Yes, I'm that old.) And with the above in mind, I hope that it can become meaningful and encouraging to you as it has become for me recently.

"Don't limit yourself. Many people limit themselves to what they think they can do. You can go as far as your mind lets you. What you believe, you can achieve." (my emphasis)
- Mary Kay Ash

Carpe diem,
B.E. Kerian

No comments:

Post a Comment