Saturday, September 11, 2010

Remembering 9/11

I would like to take spend this moment in memory of those who lost their lives on September 11, 2001 - nine years ago today. I will never forget where I was that day. It was my freshman year of high school, and only the second week of classes. I was sitting in my English class when one of the teachers down the hall came in and said, "Did you hear about those planes that hit?" My English teacher turned on the T.V. right away and my whole class and I saw one of the Twin Towers in smoke. My response was not one of total shock or surprise, but one of worry and confusion, especially as the day went by. The whole school was let out early that afternoon. When my mom picked me and my siblings up from school, I montioned how I thought this was an accident or something. She responding, seriously, that it was not an accident, but an attack.

As the week went by, and a few weeks after that, there was uncertainty in many places around the country, such as how to make people laugh, or where we were gonna go next.

A couple years ago, there was a situation on campus that some people didn't want to have a memorial for 9/11, which concerned one of my professors. (I don't recall the situation exactly.) This kind of neglect feels sad, especially for the families, relatives, and friends of the victims of that tragic day. It's been nine years going on ten next year. This is something that has affected our country immensely, yet it is something we will and must never forget. We must remember the people who gave their lives, who risked what they had for the sake of others, including ourselves. I encourage you all to have a moment of silence in memory of the events, the victims, the families, and the heroes.

Never forget.

God Bless,
B.E. Kerian

If you would like, please share what you remember doing that morning and how it has affected your life since then. (My experience has been mentioned already.)

No comments:

Post a Comment