Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Identity and Role Playing

I am a brother. A cousin. An uncle. A son. A grandchild. A friend.

I am an actor. A student. A clerk. A singer. A musician. A writer.

I am a hypocrite. A procrastinator.

I am humorous. Serious. Optimistic. Easily frustrated (but working on it). Caring. Humble.

These are just a few qualities and personality traits (and rough notes) I'm using for a current potential poem for a class. At the same time, they are the representation and example(s) of who I am.

The idea of going through life playing roles has intrigued me for the last few weeks. One of my professors gave a lecture on this idea last month, in terms of the metaphor of acting, as well as the search for a true self. To use a few of the examples above, I am currently a STUDENT finishing school. Right now, though, I am just somebody who happens to be blogging. At two o'clock, I will be the STUDENT again. Later tonight, I'll be the ACTOR, rehearsing for a show. When I call my family, I am the SON to my parents, the BROTHER to my siblings, and the GRANDCHILD to my grandparents.

In addition to the question of identity regarding true selves, there are also questions of how what we do it for, how we want to be viewed (as a projected image, for ourselves; or a self image, in terms of how we see ourselves).

I thought of a few film examples like "V for Vendetta" and "Citizen Kane," as well as literary examples like Oscar Wilde's "The Importance of Being Earnest" and Pirandello's "Six Characters in Search of an Author". (The latter was recommended by one of my professors, and I have yet to read it.)

The best thing I can consider (and challenge you to be intentional about) at this point is being honest and true in your character, in who you are and what you do.

(More discussion coming soon.)

No comments:

Post a Comment