Saturday, October 22, 2011

Fasting on Fast Food

You know, it's weird (and interesting) how a certain urge or something similar can affect you. This past week, I have challenged myself to avoid food and drink from McDonald's. It's been especially hard since I work there, being surrounded by food, condiments, and scents throughout my assigned shifts. Fortunately, I managed to survive this week. (A lone exception, even though it wasn't McDonald's, was a small Butterfinger Concrete Mixer from Culver's.)

What helped me was taking along one or two sandwiches (peanut butter and jelly!) and a quart of water (I count the water at McD's as a product of theirs), as well as cranola bars from Piggly Wiggly (on sale for 22 cents each this week!).

Another thing that's helped me was righting on my wrists the words I AM SECOND -- "I AM" on my left wrist, and sure enough, "SECOND" on the right. I've been considering having this tattooed on my wrists, as a reminder of this point in my life and how I'm challenging myself in maturing and growing. But I can't get ahead of myself too much.

Also, as my mother told me a couple nights ago, I need to eat everyday. I may fast from something, but I can't fast from everything -- not to say that I am fasting from eating. I do still eat. In addition, as I believe it's fine to have fast food on occasion, it should not be a consistent diet for people a la Super Size Me. On the other hand, I feel even more challenged to keep working at avoiding fast food--McDonald's, at least. Again, can't get ahead of myself. Taking it a day at a time is very helpful and motivating.

More on status updates and news later,
B.E.

Quotes to go by:
"This much I know: If you are what you eat, then I only want to eat the good stuff." ~Remy ("Ratatouille")

No comments:

Post a Comment